8.08.2009

To the Door Delivery

Today was one of those days.
The kind you want to pull the cover up over your head, before you even fully open your eyes.
.. . One of those days.

I knew I couldn't stay in bed - as much as I may have wanted to. At least for another hour or two. But no. I was not in the mood to seek out an adventure. And I knew if I set off on a hike, I, very possibly, may end up at that fork in the road in a puddle of my own tears.
So, I decided as beautiful a day it was, today was an inside day.
Still, half in my pajamas, I scurried about the apartment, clearing piles of bills, dusting [which is usually unheard of] and organizing the tower of shoeboxes in my closet.

At one point, I came downstairs, and as I quickly passed by the kitchen window something caught my eye. Not just one - but two baby deer - about three feet away.

Never in my life have I been that close.
As I stood there, a movement from the left.. . A third???



















For the next thirty minutes, I watched, as these three creatures devoured any green blade, leaf, bit of vegetation they found - moving from the back and then on to the front of my apartment complex. I could have stood there all day just watching - living vicariously in their peaceful world.


What is it? Not just deer.. All animals. There is something so captivating. People flock to zoos - and from the youngest age cry out for their parents to buy them a dog. There are entire television channels devoted to them. Why do we crave to be close to animals? Why can we not stop watching them? Right now as I write this in my notebook, my own fat cat - who at one point momentarily scared the deer away - is belly up beside me on the couch.



A few times, I made eye contact with one of the fawn. Looking into its eyes, you can't help but wonder what is going through its mind. All that ties and binds us up - the creatures that surround us _ they are beyond it. Just like the banner verse - Matthew 6 - reads. They have not a single worry.
In that, we wish we could be like them.
In the most basic sense, animals are a reflection of God. How can anyone look at the beauty of nature and doubt for even one
milli-second that God exists?
He has planted Himself in everything around us. And even on the days when I want to hide under the covers, He delivers Himself right to my doorstep.







No comments :

Post a Comment